The Cyber Centre is the single unified source of expert advice, guidance, services and support on cyber security for government, critical infrastructure owners and operations, the private sector and the Canadian public. With the Cyber Centre, Canadians have a clear and trusted place to turn to for cyber security issues.
Who we are
The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security (Cyber Centre) is Canada’s authority on cyber security. We have united existing operational cyber security expertise from Public Safety Canada, Shared Services Canada, and the Communications Security Establishment in to one high-functioning, responsive organization.
As part of the Communications Security Establishment, we’ve been at the cyber security game for over 70 years. We are trusted experts in cyber security with a clear and focused mandate to collaborate with government, the private sector and academia. We are hackers, builders, creators, developers, researchers, and scientists. We live cyber security every day. We offer a perspective and insight that isn’t available to the same degree anywhere else in Canada. We make Canada a safer place to be online .
What we do
The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security leads the government’s response to cyber security events. We work to protect and defend the country’s valuable cyber assets. We work side-by-side with the private and public sectors to solve Canada’s most complex cyber issues. We help to develop Canada’s cyber security talent.
We, as CERT-CA, are the National CSIRT (Computer Security Incident Response Team), and the Government of Canada CIRT (Computer Incident Response Team), working in close collaboration with government departments, critical infrastructure, Canadian businesses and international partners to respond to and mitigate cyber events.
We focus on five key areas
- We inform Canada and Canadians about cyber security matters, as a single, clear, trusted source of information on cyber security for Canadians and businesses. We do this through our advice and guidance publications, through the Get Cyber Safe public awareness campaign, through our social media channels, and through this website. We actively look for opportunities to share the experience and knowledge we have about cyber security.
- We protect Canadians’ cyber security interests through targeted advice, specific guidance, direct hands-on assistance, and strong collaborative partnerships. Our cyber security products are developed with the users in mind. We know what it takes to protect the country’s cyber resources, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise.
- We develop and share specialized cyber defence technologies and tools resulting in better cyber security for all Canadians. Our skilled, talented employees draw on their expertise and experience to create cyber security tools that make Canada a leader in this field. We share our technology with partners across the country, making the entire country stronger and resilient during cyber events.
- We defend cyber systems, including government systems, by deploying sophisticated cyber defence solutions. We have over 70 years of experience in defending Canadian government systems. We use that experience, combined with our unique advantage as part of the Communications Security Establishment, to offer a defence that is unparalleled in this country.
- We act as the operational leader and government spokesperson during cyber security events. Our expertise and access puts us at the forefront of cyber security in Canada. We are an authority in this field and we provide information that is immediately useful and has an impact.