Cybil code: G0442
From: Jan 2020
To: Jun 2023
Themes & Topics
Short introduction on the project
Project of the European Union and the Council of Europe on Targeting crime proceeds on the Internet and securing electronic evidence in South-eastern Europe and Turkey.
General information: The project will build on the results achieved during the implementation of the iPROCEEDS project and concentrate on targeted support under the following project areas:
- Legislation regarding securing electronic evidence and access to data in full respect of fundamental rights and freedoms, including privacy and personal data protection.
- Alignment with EU and Council of Europe personal data protection standards.
- Promotion of cybercrime and cybersecurity policies and strategies.
- Interagency and public/private cooperation for investigation of cybercrime and proceeds from crime online.
- Public reporting systems on online fraud and other cybercrime offences.
- Judicial training on cybercrime and electronic evidence and related financial investigations and anti-money laundering measures.
- International cooperation and information sharing for investigation of cybercrime and proceeds from crime online.
Participating countries/areas: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey and Kosovo*
Target groups: Specialised cybercrime units, financial investigation units, financial intelligence units (FIUs), digital forensics experts, prosecution services, judiciary, judicial training institutions, central authorities for mutual legal assistance in criminal matters, cybersecurity community – national and sectoral Computer Emergency Response Teams (CERTs)/ Cyber Incident Response Teams (CIRTs), data protection community (Commissioners, Inspectors and Ombudspersons) and the private sector – Internet Service Providers (local and multinational), Banking Associations and information security companies.
To enhance the capacities of authorities in the Western Balkans to fight organised crime and terrorism by enhancing cooperation within the region and with the EU.
To further strengthen the capacity of authorities in project countries and areas to search, seize and confiscate cybercrime proceeds and prevent money laundering on the Internet and to secure electronic evidence.
- Legislation strengthened regarding securing electronic evidence and access to data in line with data protection and rule of law requirements.
- Coordinated cybercrime and cybersecurity policies and strategies developed and under implementation by the competent authorities.
- Specialised online public reporting systems on online fraud and other cybercrime offences fully operational in at least two project countries/areas.
- Capacities of specialised investigative units and inter-agency cooperation between cybercrime, financial investigators, prosecutors, representatives of FIUs and cybersecurity experts in the search, seizure and confiscation of online crime proceeds, combating cybercrime and securing electronic evidence further strengthened.
- Public/private information sharing and intelligence exchange mechanisms on cybercrime established or enhanced with a focus on cooperation between service providers and criminal justice authorities.
- Judicial training on cybercrime and electronic evidence and related financial investigations and anti-money laundering measures with a focus on data protection and rule of law safeguards is provided.
- International cooperation and information sharing between cybercrime units, financial investigation units and financial intelligence units (FIUs) as well as between competent authorities for judicial cooperation is more efficient.
Kosovo – This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSC 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.
The Cybil project repository is being continuously updated, and the information it contains is either publicly available, or consent for publication was given by the owner. Please contact the portal manager with any additional information or corrections. Whilst every reasonable effort is made to keep the content of this inventory accurate and up to date, no warranty or representation of any kind, express or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in these pages.